Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Eggs in a Vent

You know that moment when you grab the clothes from your dryer only to find everything is still damp? You have to throw everything back in and start another dry cycle, of course with a bit of frustration. Then, as the dryer is turning, your mind starts running crazy... "Is it the heating element?" or "could the vent be clogged somewhere?". Regardless what it is, in your busy life it's an inconvenience. This is what happened to me last week, however it was neither of these issues.

Kevin and I went to Home Depot to pick up some things to clear the vent, thinking the cause was it being clogged. The dryer is barely eight months old, so we were hoping it wasn't the heating element or anything like that.

When we made it home, we pulled the dryer out and found two things... 1. The vent and duct leading from my laundry room to the outside is NOT closed off. In other words, there is comets openness for things to come in and out! and, 2. This is what we found...

Super cute, blue bird eggs!!! I wanted to cry. By running the dryer with the best and eggs in the vent, those babies had absolutely no hope in surviving!

What gets me even more, not even a few days before Spring Break I was downstairs and heard a scratching noise upstairs. Every time I made it to the top of the staircase, the noises stopped, so I could never find the freaking noise! All we can think is the mama bird decided to form her best in the vent right before w left and laid the eggs while we were away for the week. Why she would decide upon our dryer vent is beyond me and I hate that she did!

So, next time your dryer isn't drying all the way, check all areas before taking the time to spend money and time on parts that may not be needed!

Also, keep in mind clogged vents in dryers can lead to house fires. We are very lucky in this aspect that it did not catch on fire as clogged as it was.

1 comment:

  1. I just found the same thing in mine. four blue bird eggs. =(

    ReplyDelete